Specialists Bleeping computer noticed that after installing update KB4532693, some Windows 10 users lost their files: their desktop and Start menu were reset to the default settings, and the files stored in the profile disappeared altogether.
Journalists were able to understand that during the installation, user updates are switched to a temporary profile, and a backup copy of the original profile is saved with the extension .000 or .bak. However, due to a bug, the recovery of a regular user after the update does not occur. As a result, users came to the conclusion that you can solve this problem and return your profile by restarting Windows several times or by removing the problematic update.
But it turned out that the problems extend beyond simple profile recovery. According to information WindowsLatest, as well as judging by user complaints on official Microsoft forums and social networks (1, 2, 3, 4, 5), sometimes user profiles and files from the Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos directories generally disappear completely from the system, so you have to restore the deleted information from the backup, if any.
Journalists at BleepingComputer could not reproduce this bug, although they installed update KB4532693 on several different computers, that is, the problem does not appear too often. Representatives of Microsoft briefly told the publication that they were aware of a bug with backup profiles, and an investigation was already underway on this issue, but the company has not yet commented on the situation with the complete deletion of data.
Currently, victims are advised of the following ways to protect and restore information:
- if after installing KB4532693 the profile disappeared, it is worth looking in the C: users folder with the extension .bak or .000. If they exist, perhaps the original profile lies there;
- if the data is still available, it is urgent to back up to an external drive or to the cloud so as not to lose it;
- After that you need to restart Windows 10 several times and see if this helps. If not, you will have to uninstall update KB4532693;
- if there are no backups in the C: Users folder, then the profile has been deleted along with all the data. In such a situation, users are prompted to contact Microsoft and ask if the company has a way to recover these files;
- You can also try to recover data from backup (if any) or shadow copies, and also think about using special software to restore files.
Microsoft's February update set was definitely unsuccessful. For example, earlier users of Windows 7 and 10 complained about problems with shutting down computers, and the KB4524244 update caused freezes, problems with downloading and installation, which is why Microsoft itself advises to get rid of it.